DIY Metal Leaves


The metal is so soft, I used my crafting scissors to cut the cans.

To get flat pieces, first, remove the top and bottom of the soda cans.  Next cut down the cylinder.  To uncurl the metal, rub along the edge of a countertop.

I got two leaves from each can.  Working on layers of drop cloth, I outlined the leaf shape using a pencil.

The drop cloth allowed a depression in the metal.

I cut 34 leaves.  Then to hide the soda labels I spray painted the back sides.

After the paint dried, I flipped the metal leaves.  Then the using an awl (or a nail would work) I pressed “veins” into the leaves.

I could have left the metal as it was.  Who knew the inside of a soda can looks so good!

Instead, I stained the metal using alcohol inks.  I have ink in the colors of rust, pebble and weathered wood.

The look of the inks was great…but I tried testing another idea.  Using chalked based paint, I covered the leaf with a creamy white.  Next, I added the alcohol inks.  The paint definitely added a base for the inks.  The leaves on top are ink only, bottom are paint and ink.

The inks dry fast.  Firing up the hot glue gun, I layered the metal leaves to a wire wreath.

By the time I finished the wreath I had just enough leaves.  And I only glue one leaf to my countertop!!!  Thank goodness for marble…even if it’s orange! 🙁

A closeup of my favorite leaf.  Painted, then inked with pebble. 😀

This is the final result.  Beside the wreath, I placed a soda can.  An image perfect for pinning!

On this side is a closeup of the DIY metal leaves wreath.

In fact, the DIY metal leaves would make a cool banner.  Lettering added to each leaf is another idea.

Above I added the DIY metal leaves wreath to our scrap wood mantel.  Displayed with more leaf DIY projects.  The fabulous metal leaf on the left was bought in Pismo Beach. 🙂

Autumn leaf from scraps {that’s the one in the frame}

Rusty leaves {there’s a video too}

Book Page leaves {if you’re not into cutting metal :)}

Do you remember the necklaces made from soda can tabs?

Have you made anything from soda cans?  Let me know in comments.

Linked up at Homework

Previous Post Next Post